If you own your own business, you are in an exciting and liberating place. However, you will have to make some big changes. No longer will you have a consistent salary, regular working hours, and other benefits. For people like Charles Phillips, Infor CEO, it is all about getting your affairs in order so that you can make a new enterprise a success. There is no secret formula for this, because, if there were, everybody would be doing it. But there are a few key things to achieve business success. Charles Phillips has been kind enough to share some of those key things.
10 Tips to Business Success According to Charles Phillips
1. Have a positive outlook on life and on success. If you have started a new business, you must have believed you could do this. You must keep that belief, as well as maintaining a positive outlook.
2. If you have passion, you will get profit as well. You must love what you do and truly pour your heart and soul into it. You must feel that what you are doing is the right thing if you are to push for success.
3. Know your strengths and weaknesses. You need to utilize your strengths as much as possible, while at the same time compensating for any areas for improvement that are in your life.
4. You cannot fail! There simply is not such thing as failure. Things not turning out as you expected is not a failure, it is an opportunity to learn something.
5. Plan, prepare, and execute. Know where you’re going and why, and how you are going to get there. You need a blueprint for your own success.
6. You must be dedicated. This goes back to having a passion and believing in yourself. But dedication is about more. While achieving a good work/life balance is vital, if you have just set up on a new venture, you will have to work hard and put in the hours to reap the benefits at a later stage.
7. You have to network and build relationships with people. People are your greatest assets, both inside and outside of your enterprise.
8. Never stop learning. No business is finite and the world constantly changes, which means you have to be able to change with it. To do this, you will have to learn all the time.
9. Keep the faith. You will have bad days, seriously bad days even. It will sometimes feel like everything is going wrong and that the world is plotting against you. But remember that you believe in yourself and your enterprise, and that things will therefore be ok, even if it is eventually.
Be disciplined. Know what you have to do and when, and do it, even if you don’t fancy it. Yes, you have more flexibility if you start your own enterprise, but you won’t be successful if you are lackluster about it.