Today there are numerous ways to aid organizations to assess the careerists and guide them towards their right career path. These are known as psychometric tests which help them to gauge whether the career conscious youth can pass muster. These Career tests are taken either at the beginning of the selection process or at a much later stage. Human beings are complex creatures though it is obvious that their physicalitys are discernible right at onset what is difficult to assess however are the personality traits hidden behind a veneer of outward socially acceptable behavior.
The question uppermost on anybody’s mind will be what are these psychometric tests? They are a collection of tests which include individual profile assessing tests, questionnaires, tests to assess abilities of candidates. These assessments are mostly fair and objective. For example if you throw someone a question the person would answer back in measured tones obviously not being completely honest about the whole thing! But a psychometric test can catch the examinee unawares who then gives the correct assessment in spite of himself. There is thus no question of biases but in order to be completely accurate the tests should follow a standardization method like-
● Standardization-The test cannot be performed on every single working individual but what can be done is, it can be applied on a cross-section of working people and then apply the result to the selected few who are tested. By using the test deductions can be made and compared whose features are similar as a group on whom these tests were carried out.
● Dependability- The test must reveal results pretty consistently and not depend on outside influences. The test results depend upon your frame of mind as the results fluctuate according to your moods. If you are happy the results will be diametrically differ from the one when you are woebegone or worried about something.
● Effectiveness of the test-A test should be sound enough so as to be able to determine what it sets out to measure, if the test sets out to measure the inclinations of a person , it must do exactly that and not hover about other things related to it.
What are the advantages of psychometric tests? In a job interview it is not possible to give the complete picture of who you really are and would you suit the job to a t? Sometimes the person maybe himself/herself aware of the certain latent skills these tests then would be able to unveil the skills with carefully conceptualized psychometric tests. Sometimes the answers are hidden in the questions, rather multiple choice questions. The answers are pretty similar to each other in order to confuse the examinees.
What do the tests usually consist of? They consist of numerical verbal and abstract or non-verbal skills.
● Verbal Skills- reading skills, writing prowess and ability to deduce from given information.
● Numerical Skills- addressing mathematical problems,
● Abstract or Non-verbal skills- reasoning problems that is deciphering from shapes and patterns.
● Logical reasoning tests-in these tests you derive from the given information and henceforth application is needed to arrive to a conclusion.
When applying for engineering, science and IT roles, one would have to go for inductive reasoning tests; they are generally multiple choice questions that have to be completed within a stipulated time. These tests may contain certain pictures and you probably need to choose another set of pictures to complete the pattern.
Deductive reasoning tests usually consists of different type of solving of logical problems, these kind of tests start with certain kind of rules and then moves forward to work out how it can be applied in specific cases.
Aptitude tests test your potential to master a new skill that you would need to adopt for the job you apply for. Whatever careers you are considering IT or finance, you would need aptitude tests to find out whether you are suitable for the job!
The question now arises who can interpret the test results? Only a qualified psychologist who are trained specifically for the purpose. That is why psychometric tests are on the rise as they help to evaluate the person correctly on the basis of a test which is not discriminatory , wholly independent and thoroughly objective conducive to choosing a career as close to your aptitude and personality as possible. This can be beneficial for both career experts and candidates who are looking for the right job! But needless to say the tests need to be carried out correctly to reap its full benefits.
If you seek career guidance at the right time you would be able to garner the much needed focus to give your career the required push which would make you reach for your dream career goals. So begin early a fantastic career needs to be nurtured with care, and do the needful right at the onset, right after your board examinations. Only then would you be able to give your career the terrific start it deserves! So what are you waiting for? Give your career the chance it deserves!!