Do you experience sporadic spells of uncontrollable leaky noses or bouts of sneezing fits? Do headaches and other similar conditions leave you feeling sick and tired? If you answer is yes to all of these, you may be suffering from sinusitis. Sinusitis, commonly known as sinus, is of two kinds – acute and chronic. While acute sinus lasts for a short duration and is part of a cold, chronic sinus lasts much longer and continues to recur. Some major sinus symptoms include facial pain, nasal discharge, and congestion.
Antibiotics are a common treatment for all these symptoms affecting a person’s everyday functioning. But long-term use of these drugs comes with its own side effects. Ever thought of using honey for sinus? Honey is a simple and natural product that can treat these symptoms without side effects and provide other benefits as well. There are various benefits of honey, one of which is preventing sinus and reducing its symptoms. Read on to know how honey for sinus can prove beneficial.
Honey for sinus
Sinus is an inflammation of the nasal passages where the mucous membranes in the sinus cavities become inflamed, causing headaches, stuffy nose, and difficulty breathing. These can be caused by viral, fungal, and bacterial infections and allergies.
Are you wondering how honey for sinus infection works? As stated in Ayurveda, honey is considered to be nature’s best gift to humanity. It comes loaded and enriched with a plethora of health and body-friendly nutrients that its inclusion in our everyday life can only make us feel healthy and fit.
Here are some of the nutritional and medicinal facts about honey.
- Rich in vitamin B6
- Naturally anti-bacterial
- Antiseptic in nature and so helps to clear the sinus causing bacterial
- Enriched with minerals, calcium, iron & enzymes
- Loaded with antioxidants, riboflavin & amino acids
Besides this, honey is also known to reduce inflammation of the nasal passages and areas around the nose & eyes; and reduce the pain caused by headaches one often faces when suffering from a sinus attack. Honey also helps a great deal in soothing the throat, and reducing sinus symptoms, such as bouts of cough and soreness.
As a superfood, honey also strengthens the immune system, which aids in the body’s fight against bacteria that may cause a sinus infection. Also, cl,cleansing the body of free radicals and harmful toxins, prevents the internal system from falling prey to viruses and bacterial infections that can give rise to instances of sinus among people.
With all these benefits, you would surely like to consume honey for a healthy, sinus and infection free you. A few methods of consuming honey have been provided down under.
Sinus remedies with honey
Wondering how honey for sinus works? Here’s the answer:
There are various ways of consuming honey to prevent sinus and reduce symptoms. Before intake of these below given homemade remedies, make sure to contact your doctor. In many cases, diabetes patients are recommended to avoid consuming honey or any other kind of sweetener.
Note: The remedies mentioned here should supplement medical treatments, not replace them. Also, to make these remedies, we suggest using Dabur Honey. It is the most trusted honey brand in the category and has been ranked as the No. 1 Honey by Consumer Voice.
Honey with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar relieves stuffy nose and sinus pressure by killing the microbes that may cause the infection.
- In a pan, boil a cup of water and two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Stir well, and let it cook for 5 mins
- Remove the pan from heat and let it cool to room temperature
- Now stir in 1 tablespoon of honey and mix well
- You can drink this mix three times a day for effective results
Honey and Lemon
Honey and lemon for sinus? Yes, lemon contains vitamin C, which strengthens the immune system and is naturally anti-microbial. It also aids in clearing the body of harmful toxins and keeping the body healthy.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey with two teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Warm this lemon and honey mixture and consume it daily before going to bed to thin the mucus and prevent sinus from spoiling your good night’s sleep
Honey with Cinnamon
Cinnamon contains eugenol and cinnamaldehyde, which destroy harmful bacteria. It also helps keep your digestive system working properly and the gut healthy and happy. Hence the combination of cinnamon and honey is very beneficial.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey with ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- Consume the paste of honey for sinus infection daily, at least two times a day, to clear the blocked sinuses
Honey with Basil Leaves
Basil clears away excess mucus and relieves headaches and fatigue.
- Grind 10-12 fresh basil leaves in a mixer to make a smooth paste
- Now to the basil mix, stir in 2 tablespoons of honey and store it in a jar
- You can use this mix to consume every morning on an empty stomach for up to 15 days
Read more on the various tulsi medicinal uses.
Due to all its natural healing properties, honey is regarded ase way to reduce sinus symptoms and prevent its regulartheircurrence.