Do you experience sporadic spells of uncontrollable leaky nose or bouts of sneezing fits? Do headaches and other similar conditions leave you feeling sick and tired? If you are answer is yes to all of these, you may be suffering from sinusitis. Sinusitis commonly known as sinus is of two kinds – acute and chronic. While acute sinus lasts for a short duration and is part of a cold, chronic sinus lasts much longer and continues to recur. Some of the major symptoms of sinus include facial pain, infected nasal discharge and congestion.
With all these symptoms affecting a person’s everyday functioning, antibiotics are a common treatment. But long-term use of these drugs come with its own set of side effects. Ever thought of using honey for sinus? is a simple and natural product that can be used for the treatment of these symptoms without side effects and provide other benefits as well. There are various one of them being preventing sinus and reducing its symptoms. Read on to know how can actually prove beneficial.
Honey for sinus
Sinus is an inflammation of the nasal passages where the mucous membranes in the sinus cavities become inflamed, causing headaches, stuffy nose, and difficulty in breathing. These can be caused by viral, fungal and bacterial infections and allergies.
Wondering how does honey for sinus infection work? Honey is considered to be nature’s best gift to mankind as stated in . It comes loaded and enriched with a plethora of healthy and body friendly nutrients that it’s inclusion in our everyday life in any form can only make us feel healthy and fit.
Here are some of the nutritional and medicinal facts about honey.
- Rich in vitamin B6
- Naturally anti–bacterial
- Anti–septic in nature and so helps to clear the sinus causing bacterial
- Enriched with minerals, calcium, iron & enzymes
- Loaded with antioxidants, riboflavin & amino acids
Besides this, honey is also known to reduce inflammation of the nasal passages and areas around the nose & eyes; and reduce the pain caused by headaches one often faces when suffering from sinus attack. Honey also helps a great deal in soothing the throat thereby reducing the other symptoms of sinus such as bouts of cough and soreness.
As a superfood, honey also strengthens the immune system that aids in the body’s fight against bacteria that may cause sinus infection. Also by cleansing the body of free radicals and harmful toxins it prevents the internal system from falling prey to viruses and bacterial infections that can give rise to instances of sinus among people.
With all these benefits, you would surely like to consume honey for a healthy, sinus and infection free you. A few methods of consuming honey have been provided down under.
Sinus remedies with honey
Wondering how does honey for sinus works? Here’s the answer:
There are various ways of consuming honey for preventing sinus and reducing its symptoms. Before intake of these below given homemade remedies, make sure to contact your doctor. In a lot of cases, diabetes patients are recommended to stay away from consuming honey or any other kind of sweetener.
Note: The remedies mentioned here should supplement medical treatments and not replace them. Also, to make these remedies, we suggest the use of Dabur Honey. It is the most trusted honey brand in the category and has been ranked as the No. 1 Honey by Consumer Voice.
Honey with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar relieves stuffy nose and sinus pressure by killing the microbes that may be the cause of the infection.
- In a pan, boil a cup of water and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Stir well, and let it boil for 5 mins
- Remove the pan from heat and let it cool to room temperature
- Now stir in 1 tablespoon of honey and mix well
- You can drink this mix three times a day for effective results
Honey and Lemon
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey with 2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Warm this lemon and honey mixture and consume daily before going to bed to thin the mucus and prevent sinus from spoiling your good night’s sleep
Honey with Cinnamon
Cinnamon contains eugenol and cinnamaldehyde, which destroy harmful bacteria. It also helps in keeping your digestive system working properly and keeping the gut healthy and happy. Hence the combination of is very beneficial.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey with ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- Consume the paste of honey for sinus infection daily, at least two times a day, to clear the blocked sinuses
Honey with Basil Leaves
Basil clears away excess mucus and relieves headaches and fatigue.
- Grind 10-12 fresh basil leaves in a mixer to make a smooth paste
- Now to the basil mix, stir in 2 tablespoons of honey and store it in a jar
- You can use this mix to consume every morning on empty stomach for up till 15 days
Read more on the various.
Due to all its naturally healing properties, consumption of honey is regarded as an effective way to reduce symptoms of sinus and prevent its regular occurrence.